Readings for Today
In 1955 Joan Dilworth from Scotland arrived to start Social services in Kampala Archdiocese. In 1956, she centralized the Social services at Lubaga Social Training Centre, this later resulted into the formation of The Catholic Women’s Guild. In 1969, UCSTC by then was established as a National Training Institute by the Uganda Episcopal Conference under Elizabeth Namaganda. This has expanded to become the current Uganda Catholic Management and Training Institute (UCMTI). The Services then included leadership training, cookery, basic sowing and nutrition. Today the courses have been upgraded to a tertiary level.
in addition to the above, the members at Rubaga Center run small scale projects aimed at self sustainability through provision of basic souces of food and income generation.
The begining of the Center in Lubaga was majorly influenced by the activities and pojects intended to be run by grail members at Lubaga Hill.
Marie Theresa Mac Dermit a senior surgical nurse and midwife from USA, arrived at Lubaga hill at the beginning of July 1953.
In 1954, three other medical Grail members arrived, namely; Dr. Magdalene Oberhoffer a specialist in tropical medicine and hygiene; the first resident doctor, Elizabeth Weiganda, a laboratory and X-ray technician both from Germany and Mary Mackery a nurse from USA
A snap of the house at Lubaga Center